Welcome to Hertfordshire rehoming centre. We have dogs, cats and rabbits looking for loving homes.
We serve Buckinghamshire, Bedfordshire and Hertfordshire and can house up to 50 dogs, 14 cats and six rabbits. We were established in the 1940s
. Have a chat with everyone in your home to decide what type of pet you’d like. Our factsheet about choosing the right pet can help with this. If you’re interested in rehoming a horse or pony please read more about giving a horse a home.
2. Once you’ve decided on the type of pet, have a look on our website at the animals available for rehoming. Each animal has a profile with photos and information about their age, sex, breed, personality and what kind of home they would suit.
3. If you see an animal you are interested in rehoming, click ’adopting me’ to the right of the animal’s profile. An online homefinder form will appear.
4. Complete the homefinder form and click ’submit’. This will be sent directly to the relevant centre who will contact you within two working days.
5. You’ll be invited to meet the animal. You might need to visit the animal a few times and get to know each other so we can make sure you’re suited. If the animal is not suitable, we will do all we can to find you one which is. Depending on the animal, we may arrange a home visit.
6. The centre will notify you when your new pet is available to be taken home. We’ll ask you to pay a fee towards the cost of your pet’s care during their stay with us. The fees vary depending on the type of animal so it’s best to check with your local centre but here’s a guide:
Rabbits, guinea pigs and other small animals: £5-£25
7. Our behaviour team will help you with any problems you might have with the newest member of your family. This service is available free of charge for the rest of your pet’s life. We’re always happy to help old friends.
One off donations or monthly direct debit donations can be made. Your money will go towards helping sick and unwanted animals.
Leave a legacy: Legacies account for more than half our income and provide vital funds to help us care for sick, injured and homeless pets. Leaving us a gift in your Will means we can give more pets a healthy life in a happy home.
Volunteer: We rely on our fantastic team of dedicated volunteers and we’d love for you to join us. We have lots of different volunteer roles around the country if you have any time to spare.
Attend an event: Our centres hold fundraising events, like open days, shows and sponsored dog walks, throughout the year. Attending your local event will help raise valuable funds.
Fundraise: Organise your own event, run a race for us or sign up for one of our fantastic overseas challenges. All the money you raise will go towards helping our animals.
Shop: Who would have thought shopping could generate cash! By visiting one of our charity shops or buying from our online shop you can help raise money for needy animals.
Work for us: Join our team of friendly and hardworking people dedicated to improving animal welfare. Working with animals can be hard, upsetting and physically exhausting but it’s also extremely rewarding.
Corporate sponsorships and other partners: Your company can support Blue Cross in lots of ways and we strive to develop partnerships that are mutually beneficial.